• Massage your hair with generous amount of oil before stepping out. Use warm coconut oil for massaging the scalp or you can also use a mixture of jojoba oil and castor oil, this will act as a protective sheild against the chemical loaded colours and will retain the shine of the hair.
• Do not shampoo your hair the day of Holi or the previous day as the natural oil in the scalp act as a barrier against the harsh chemicals in colours that make the hair dry and damaged.
• If you have sensitive scalp or have dandruff problem then you should add a few drops of lemon to the oil that will help get rid of dandruff and help keeping the toxins in the colours away.
• Do not let your hair loose while playing with colours as it will maximise the damage to the hair. Tie up your hair tightly in a pony tail. If you have long hairs braid it up or you can style a bun.
• If you have short hairs you can use a bandana or cap to cover your hair and hairline to avoid direct interaction with colours and will also prevent the colours from settling down on the scalp. A funky headscarf can also be an alternate option. While playing with wet colours use shower caps.
• Moisturize your skin with ample amount of oil prior going to play with colours. You can use coconut oil, olive oil or mustard oil all over your body or you can use the mixture of coconut oil and castor oil as applying oil help prevent the colours sticking to your body that causes skin damage. Oiling act as a physical barrier.
• Apply sunscreen (SPF 30- 50) over the exposed areas of the body to protect the skin from UV rays that will prevent the skin from getting tanned.
• Use bright and vibrant nail paint on your nails, this will avoid the colours loaded with chemicals from sticking to the nails.
• Apply petroleum jelly on the inside out of your nails and on the hair line, as this is the place where the colours settles and doesn’t easily get off.
• You must apply lip balm on your lips that won’t let your lips dry .
• Wear full length clothes to protect the skin from direct contact with colours.